I used to carry a large handbag and, no matter how much I tried to keep it organized, things always tended to get a little ugly in there. Receipts and candy wrappers (often containing chewed gum), loose hair pins, an array of nude lipsticks, empty birth control containers, pens that I stole from various checkout clerks… I let it pile up until it got to the point where, if I didn’t pour everything out onto the parking lot floor, I’d never be able to find my car keys.
Recently, I took a good look at everything I bring with me on a daily basis (garbage aside) and realized that I carry a lot of things around that I really don’t need. Things like a wallet full of retail rewards cards and used gift cards, my entire medicine cabinet, and an overflowing makeup bag. So I decided to simplify… And since I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one with handbag related hoarding issues, I thought I’d share with you a few good ways to consolidate some of your daily essentials:
- Get a hand sanitizer key chain. Bath and Body works have some really adorable and yummy smelling ones here. You probably carry hand sanitizer with you regularly, anyway, so this is a nice way to consolidate items and make your keys a lot easier to find in your handbag.
- You don’t need to bring your entire first aid kit, but a bandaid and a little bottle of a pain reliever are a good idea, just in case.
- If you wear contact lenses, fill your contact lens case with fresh solution and store that in your purse instead carrying of a whole bottle of saline.
- Instead of carrying your whole wallet, keep your credit/debit card and a little bit of cash on hand. Card holders are always a nice alternative to a full on wallet, as well.
- Instead of a powder compact, bring oil blotting sheets for touch ups. These take up a lot less space than a bulky compact and a lot of them come with powder likes these by The Body Shop.
- Carry makeup that has the ability to multitask. I love clear mascara (Maybelline makes my favorite one) to neaten up my eyelashes and brows throughout the day, a lip and cheek stain like Benefit’s Posey Tint, a good BB cream, and Josie Maran Intensive Creamy Oil to moisturize my lips, hands, and elbows.
- Use a jewelry pouch to house your earbuds and/or charging cable to prevent tangling.
Minimalism isn’t the lack of something. It’s simply the perfect amount of something. – Nicholas Burroughs